Everyone knows bringing people together in meaningful ways has value. But what does that mean? And how do you build environments that get people to be authentic and real?
Questions I hear:
- How do you move beyond “What do you do?” at networking events?
- How important is a guest list, really?
- Does the environment matter?
- Can you prevent people from dishing out business cards like candy on Halloween?
- Is it possible to focus discussion and…
No matter where your office is located, the ceiling can fall down. You don’t know when, but one day it will. There is even a possibility a car drives through your living room tonight while you’re sleeping.
We’ve done a great job fooling ourselves into believing we have it all figured out. We’ve worked hard to create predictable outcomes, studying to become masters of our environment. Data is plugged into…More...
Risk frightens some people. It paralyzes others. Risk has stopped many people from doing incredible things.
Risk has also failed to prevent others from wholeheartedly chasing their dreams.
It might be worth asking whether risk is your fear dressed in disguise.
If risk wasn’t an issue, would your decisions change?More...
Pick up the phone and ask someone to meet you for lunch. Invite someone you’d like to learn from, someone you could get to know a little better.
Choose four questions to bring along with you:
- What advice would you have given yourself five years ago?
- Favorite aspect of your work?
- Most challenging part of your job?
- You can pick one person to have coffee with. Who would it be?
- Where do you go for…
No one is remembered for playing it safe.
Life is for experiments, making messes, screwing up, breaking things, smiling, laughing, crying, loving, grieving, starting anew.
And every time it is different.
- Reevaluate your current goals and aspirations
- Consider what you wish you would have learned sooner (and teach yourself)
- Update your story so it accurately reflects who you are
- Take time to build and nourish your relationships
- Write thank you notes to those who have played important roles in your life
- Think about what risks you’ll take in the coming months
- Meet someone new
- Let serendipity work for you
- Read a book (or two) you keep meaning to
10 questions to help you decide:
1. Can you describe the life you want?
2. What does a perfect day look like, from the moment you wake until the moment you sleep?
3. Do you have an end goal in mind?
4. Is there a problem you want to solve?
5. Do you want a thriving business that lasts after you’re gone?
6. Are you wanting to make someone’s life easier?
7. Are you putting work…More...
Quitting might be the best thing you can do.
Quitting is a largely underrated skill. By removing yourself from situations that are detrimental to your growth, you place yourself on the fast track towards opportunity and success. Read more on why quitting might be good for you in this NY Times article.
A few things you might consider quitting:
- where you live
- your career
- your job
- destructive habits
- irrelevant projects
- time wasters
- negative thoughts
Why (and when)… More...
True or false:
- Fairy tales are real.
- Adventure isn’t just for vacation.
- Your work can be meaningful.
- You have the ability to create more stability and security than with any employer.
Throughout my work with industry leaders, entrepreneurs, small business owners, and 1:1 clients, I’ve pinpointed three key areas that prevent belief in the above:
- Lack of focus
- Stagnation (disguised fear)
As a result, I’ve developed a methodology to help people push beyond perceived limits and get…More...
He always makes the deal.
She finds conveted inside information.
He lands top meetings and befriends the opposition.
Her comments catalyze progress that proceeds company-wide change.
These folks are not your competition. Their work, their composure, their grace under fire, their successes are not your threats.
In fact, these people are your greatest allies.
People better than you offer a tremendous opportunity. They are resources to help you up your game:
- Their excellence can challenge you…
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012